Jonas Scholars Investing in the future of nursing through scholarships
- A faculty vacancy rate of 9.6% resulted in more than 64,000 qualified applicants turned away from nursing baccalaureate and graduate programs in 2016.
- The U.S. faces a surge in aging adults with complex health needs, as well as an aging healthcare workforce: while 10,000 baby boomers turn 65 each day, 53% of working nurses and 72% of full-time nursing faculty are over age 50 and nearing retirement
- With 22.2 million veterans living in the U.S., there is an urgent need to reassess and continue to improve upon veterans unique healthcare challenges:
- One out of five veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars suffers from depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- 20 veterans commit suicide every day.
Investing in solutions
Launched in 2008, Jonas Scholars identifies and invests in high-potential doctoral nursing students pursuing PhD, EdD or DNP degrees. The goal of this initiative is to increase the number of doctoral-prepared faculty available to teach in nursing schools nationwide, as well as the number of advanced practice nurses providing direct patient care and addressing the country’s most urgent health challenges. The scholarships provide financial assistance, leadership development and networking support to expand the pipeline of future nursing faculty and advanced practice nurses.
Jonas Scholars are committed to meeting
the greatest health needs of our time
- Veterans Healthcare: Advanced practice nurses and faculty who are trained specifically to address the unique needs of our veteran population, and will be involved in all levels of veterans healthcare, from administration and policy to direct patient care.
- American Academy of Nursing Policy Fellows: These Scholars support the work of AAN Expert Panels, which focus on addressing big health challenges, such as aging; environmental and public health; global nursing; maternal and infant health; military and veterans health; palliative and end-of-life care; and psychiatric, mental health and substance abuse.
- Barbara Jonas Psychiatric-Mental Health Scholars: Supports PhD, EdD and DNP candidates who will become clinical and academic leaders in the field of psychiatric-mental health.