NURSE RESIDENCY PROGRAM: New York Presbyterian Medical Center (2006-2009)
The primary aim of the project was to implement and evaluate a nurse residency program for new graduate nurses to provide support for successful integration into the organization and decrease the turnover among new graduate nurses. As a part of the residency program, new graduate nurses were paired with mentors, received training and participated in assimilation courses provided by Pace School of Nursing.
- Initial Grant 2006-2009
- Amount: $300,000
- Program is still active and expanded across all NYP enterprises
- 2010-2013 HRSA funding
- 2010-2019 utilizing Vizient/AACN Residency curriculum
- On 3.26.19 NYPH received accreditation with distinction “Accreditation in Practice Transition Programs” by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission
- Residency Program Results:
- Decrease in turnover
- Program participants self-assessment reported increases in problem solving, time management, prioritization, decision making and critical thinking
- Participant Mentors reported statistically significant increases in problem solving & prioritization.